On 16 February 2016, Hungarian Public Roads submitted a grant application for the project “CROCODILE 2.0_HU” aimed at the deployment of Intelligent Transportation Systems. Based on the European Commission’s decision of 8 October 2016, the grant was awarded. The grant agreement was signed by the European Commission and the Ministry for National Development (which was the superior organization of Hungarian Public Roads at the time) on 18 November 2016. The total eligible cost of the project is €5,935,475.64. Our company is entitled to €2,967,737.82, of which 85% is financed by the Connecting Europe Facility and the remaining 15% (plus VAT) is financed from domestic funds. The grant contract between the Ministry of National Development and the beneficiary organizations (Hungarian Public Roads and Budapest Közút Zrt) was concluded on 18 September 2017.

Government Resolution 1821/2018. (XII. 27.) allowed for increasing the financial support of the project and modifying the deadline for implementation, which enabled us to extend the works to additional sites.

The project focuses on data collection and automated data exchange, aimed at providing real-time travel information. Field data collection devices (automated on-line sensors, traffic monitoring and automatic incident detection cameras, web cameras) and traffic control devices have been deployed on 70 sites, plus an intelligent truck parking system has been extended on the TEN-T core network (approx. in every 100 Km). Along with the establishment of the National Access Point, the DATEX node was also updated. The development of the National Access Point started with preparatory tasks (including technical preparation, requirement specifications and proposals for Hungarian legislative amendments), followed by the purchase and deployment of electric apparatus.
As a new technological solution, a Bluetooth-based travel time estimation system was developed in the Budapest metropolitan area (M0 motorway). The project has been successfully completed and was awarded with a Bluetooth Excellence Prize.